Saturday, October 4, 2008

At Starbucks

[One of] the Starbucks near my house runs a weekly promotion where the first ten people to correctly answer a trivia question get a free beverage.

Although I don't like coffee, nor do I like Starbucks, I don't really have a problem leeching them for free (Pumpkin Spice, FTW!) Frappucinos.

However, I am always surprised by how no one ever bothers to answer the questions. Admittedly, I don't always cash in on my rightful free weekly Pumpkin-y deliciousness, but at least I do occansionally. I doubt that there's actually been a week where all ten beverages have been given out. The really surprising thing about this is that the store alwasy has at least 5 people online inside of it.

For instance, a few weeks ago, the question was about the outside layers of a coffee bean. In the end only 3 people cashed in. And I was one of them.

Seriously, come on! You're sitting right there with the Google homepage open, and you're not going to bother to spend the 10 seconds it would take on Wikipedia in order to get a free second to your half-whipped no-fat semi-skimmed double-hazelnut-pump espresso? Come to think of it, all that money you'd be saving on coffee would probably end up paying for the WiFi!

A few days ago, I had had enough of this idiocy. I walked in, and found a woman in her twenties sitting in a chair surfing the web. I caught her attention, and explained the situation. "But isn't the special only good for ten people?" she asked. "Yes," I replied, "but nobody ever does it anyway."

She asked me for the question, I told it to her, and I walked out.

I hope she got the message.

No comments: